A National State of Disaster is declared!
A National State of Disaster was declared by South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa
“If we act swiftly, we can limit the effects of the Corona virus on our people and our country.”
This statement was made by President Cyril Ramaphosa during his address to the nation in Pretoria on Sunday 15 March.
Here are some highlights from his address:
- A National State of Disaster was declared in line with the Disaster Management Act
- So far 61 cases of the Corona virus has been confirmed in South Africa
- Travelers from high risk countries will be denied entry into South Africa as from Wednesday 18 March
- Visas from high-risk countries will not be issued and those visas that have been issued recently, will be evoked
- High-intensity screenings will now be mandatory at ports of entry
- Of the 72 ports of entry into South Africa, 35 will be shut down from Monday 16 March
- Travel bans have been implemented from high-risk countries
- Gatherings of more than 100 people have been prohibited
- Schools will be closed from 18 March and holidays will be shortened by a week to make up for this
- Funding has been made available immediately to deal with this national response
- Minimum contact with people is encouraged
- Public places like shopping centres have been asked to increase their hygiene control management
- Visits to correctional services have been suspended for 30 days
- South African residents returning from high-risk countries are require to self-quarantine
- Tertiary areas will be consulted soonest
Furthermore, the President announced that the National Command Council will meet three times per week to revise the current state of affairs and update South Africans.
Article from GO LEGAL : https://www.golegal.co.za/ramaphosa-covid-19/