The Roodepoort Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ROCCI) started in 1983, serving the business sector and community for over 4 decades. Situated in the community of Region C, of the Greater Johannesburg Metropolitan Area. ROCCI has established a high status of recognition and earned respect over 4 decades in building and developing earned trust in long standing, successful business relationships and contributed to many up-liftment and development projects in businesses and the community. ROCCI stands out from the rest and is well known for being one of the most interactive busiest Chambers on the African Continent. ROCCI continually strives to go above and beyond in serving with passion and dedication to build and develop and support the Business Sector and community.
The Roodepoort Chamber of Commerce & Industry
Our Mission: To promote and meet the needs of business and Industry and to create and uplift the best community in which to live, work and do business. The “Mission” of Roodepoort Chamber of Commerce & Industry is to provide leadership for the advancement of economic vitality and equality of life for the total community.
ROCCI Holds No Barriers – with an “out of the box”, ongoing, proactive positive approach and reinvention, in uplifting the Business community.
Provide leadership in linking people on a local, national and international businesses level and facilitate an easy access to business in all social and development ventures.
To promote and encourage all groups of professionals and business enterprises in South Africa, in proactive involvement and uniting young and old to stand together and make our Country Great again.
To enhance and encourage business relationships between Members, and the community, both nationally and internationally and provide as many platforms as possible in bringing people together.
To facilitate the sharing of information and expertise that will assist newly established businesses and/or those intending to start up a business.
To actively participate and contribute to South Africa’s economic growth by assisting our members ‘business ventures and partnerships.
We value an open, honest and accountable organisation. Proactive involvements in a joint partnership sharing the same beliefs and ethics, in uplifting the Business Sector, our community our city and our country.
Our success is achieved through passion, dedication, commitment, hard work and belief in what we do.
Creativity and simplicity are our formulas for solving problems.
We recognise leadership quality in all our members and we promote innovation.
We believe in the multicultural principle of productive diversity.
Raise ROCCI’s profile in National and International levels, enhancing and growing, supporting our Members and our business community in all aspects. Ever growing in solutions to compete with the latest technologies and pathways into the future, in business development and identifying our community needs and finding solutions in partnership and proactive involvement.
Recruit a formidable membership roll consisting of Business Personalities, Local Talent and corporations with mutual visions.
Develop a significant nation-wide regional presence.
Pro-actively Participate ,in activities that promote the general welfare and well-being of our Members and community, by Up-liftment in business and social development.
Generate funding to promote, enhance and safeguard the image of our Chamber and go above and beyond the norm in serving our fellow beings. ROCCI Serves!
Why a Chamber of Business?
The South African Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SACCI) and its Chambers play an important part in the decision-making process in this country. No individual business should allow itself to be left out of this involvement. No business should deprive itself to the advantages to be gained, nationally and internationally, from membership of the Chamber Movement. SACCI is the largest business organisation in the country. Through Roodepoort Chamber and other constituent Chambers, it has a total membership of close to 20 000 businesses, most of them small and medium-sized. Chambers and its members ascribe to ethical standards of business practice designed to promote respect for business in a way that ensures that the interests of society and business converge.
A chamber is established in a town or city for the following reasons:
- To assess and evaluate the needs of the local business community
- To monitor development at the local level
- To mobilise business opinion on local issues
- To exert a positive influence on the environment in which business operates
- To promote and encourage the pursuit of a high standard of business ethics
- To disseminate information that is useful to the business fraternity
- To create opportunities for improving business skills
- To extend business contacts locally and nationally, and to allow individual business-people to share in the national business decision-making process
- To uphold the market economy and private enterprise system
- To be “The Voice of Business” – a binding force combining the skills and influences of men and women engaged in business in one form or another
- The Chamber shoulders the responsibility to uphold and Voice the concerns and issues on behalf of the business sectors and communities.
Benefits to Business
The increasingly complex business and social environment requires a comprehensive support structure to ensure the most favorable climate for the continued viable existence of individual businesses in a system of free enterprise. At the same time, the chamber movement facilitates adjustment by business to those realities that cannot be altered. Involvement in the Chamber movement bears abundant fruit for the well-being of each business. Thousands of successful business people can testify to the enrichment of their own skills and the development of through active participation in Chamber affairs. If you are a businessperson with vision, you cannot afford not to join the Chamber movement
ROCCI Presidents through the years
Quintus Lottering: President – 2017 – 2019 ( Current)
Marietjie Esterhuizen: President – 2015 – 2017
Wessie Van der Westhuizen: President – 2013 – 2015
Sakkie Stoltz: President – 2011 – 2013
Clive Kau: President 1997 – 2010
Yvonne Larkins: President 1993 – 1997
Stan Cox: President 1992 – 1993
Horst Wagner: President 1991 – 1992
Bernard Robertson: President 1990 – 1991
Altus Strydom: President 1989 – 1990
Stan Cox: President 1988 – 1989
J. van der Merwe: President 1986 – 1988
J. Zidel: President 1983 – 1986
What is the purpose of the Chamber of Commerce?
- A Chamber of Commerce (also referred to in some circles as a board of trade) is a form of business network, e.g., a local organisation of businesses whose goal is to further the interests of businesses. Business owners in towns and cities form these local societies to advocate on behalf of the business community.
What is the mission of a chamber of commerce?
- The Mission: To promote and meet the needs of business and industry and to create the best community in which to live, work and do business. The “Mission” of the Chamber of Commerce is to provide leadership for the advancement of economic vitality and equality of life for the total community.
Is the Chamber of Commerce a non-profit?
- A chamber of commerce is an organisation of businesses seeking to further their collective interests, while advancing their community, region and community Local businesses are voluntary paying members of a chamber (non–profits, Ngo’s, public and even public sector employers also sometimes pay dues to belong.
How is a Chamber of Commerce funded?
- Despite common misconceptions, a Chamber of Commerce do not receive public or governmental funding, a large majority of Chambers of Commerce is existing today survive as a result of donations and membership fees and sponsors.
What should a Chamber of Commerce do?
- The goal of any Chamber is to help to further the interests of businesses in a local area. The Chamber of Commerce gives you the opportunity to meet with other local business owners and network. Of course they also present business owners in a positive light to the community.
Why is Chamber of Commerce important?
- The Chamber of Commerce gives you the opportunity to meet with other local business owners and create platforms for growth in every-way. The Chamber of Commerce is essential to the growth, development and in some cases the revitalisation of a local area
Can chambers of commerce qualify members to claim their investment as a tax delectable business expense?
YES! Fees paid to the chamber of commerce & Industry is a legally approved deductible business expense.
What is a chamber involvement in government?
- In government and organisations. Chambers of commerce, represent and put forward concerns of the region and community and discuss business related problems and liaise with local, regional, national, international and bi-lateral Chambers. Chambers lobby on behalf of their members and their community to assist in resolving concerns and relevant issues and look for solutions all in the best interest of the community.
What is a Chamber of Commerce certificate?
- A Certificate of Origin (COO) is an important international trade document that certifies that goods in a particular export shipment are wholly obtained, produced, manufactured or processed in a particular country. They also serve as a declaration by the exporter.
What does a Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive Officer do?
- The Chief executive officer of a chamber of commerce is a key representative and advocate for business owners and employers in a community. Despite differences, all chamber directors work to promote and strengthen their communities by building prosperity through a healthy economy and a strong business sector.
What type of interest group is the Chamber of Commerce?
- Certainly the largest category, economic interest groups include organisations that represent big business,worldwide. Yet the Chamber also focuses not only on big groups but small and medium business entrepreneurs and up coming emerging new business developments.
What is a Chamber of Commerce part in Politics?
ROCCI Chamber of Commerce (ROCCI) is a business-oriented lobbying group. The Chamber does participate in politics at all, however chooses to remain neutral in being fair across the board. Politically, the Chamber supports no political candidates.
What does in chambers mean?
- Chamber of Commerce & Industry is the offices where Businesses meet as members of the region of their chamber.
What is the role of commerce?
- It is an organised system for the exchange of goods and services. It involves not only the functions of buying and selling but several other activities required to facilitate buying and selling. The purpose of commerce is to provide the right goods to the right persons at the right time and at the right place.
What do trade associations do within a chamber?
- A trade association, also known as an industry trade group, business association, sector association or industry body, is an organisation founded and funded by businesses that operate in a specific industry. Many associations are non-profit organisations governed by bylaws and directed by officers who are also members
Why certificate of origin is required?
- Why need Certificate of Origin. Certificate of Origin is one of the required documents for import customs clearance in most of the importing countries. Certificate of origin is the document, certifying the origin of country where in the export goods are procured and manufactured originally.
What is the role of a chamber of commerce?
- A Chamber of. The Chamber represents and holds liable members is business and trade of members consisting of Business owners in towns and cities form these local societies to advocate on behalf of the business community.
Who runs chamber Commerce?
A chamber of commerce is run by the key employees of the chamber, the executive board and internal sub-committees who liaise and lobby within affiliations and national and international guidelines of chambers worldwide. Each chamber differs in their codes of ethics and rules and platforms, but share the umbrella of SACCI and ICC and legislation of operations.
How do I join the Chamber of Commerce?
Some business owners might say their schedule is demanding enough at the moment, and the thought of adding one more activity to their busy calendar is unbearable.
So why should they try to cram time into their already hectic schedules to join and actively participate in their local chamber of commerce?
Because membership in the local chamber offers numerous benefits and keeps business owners on top of important, ever-changing issues and trends within their community and local marketplace.
Not only that, but research points out that consumers are more likely to do business with a company if it’s a member of their local chamber of commerce.
According a research study by The Shapiro Group, Inc. and Market Street Services, when consumers know that a small business is a member of their local chamber of commerce, they are 44 percent more likely to think favorably of it and 63 percent more likely to purchase goods or services from the company in the future.
If you still don’t think you have time to join and participate in your local chamber of commerce, consider the following:
- Most consumers (59 percent) think that being active in the local chamber of commerce is an effective business strategy overall. It’s 29 percent more effective, however, for communicating to consumers that a company uses good business practices and 26 percent more effective for communicating that a business is reputable.
- If a company shows that it’s highly involved in its local chamber (e.g., sits on the chamber board), consumers are 12 percent more likely to think that its products stack up better against its competition.
- When a consumer thinks that a company’s products stack up better against the competition because the company is highly involved in its local chamber of commerce, it is because he or she infers that the company is trustworthy, involved in the community and is an industry leader.
- When consumers know that a restaurant franchise is a member of the chamber of commerce, they are 40 percent more likely to eat at the franchise in the next few months.
- When consumers know that an insurance company is a member of the chamber of commerce, they are 43 percent more likely to consider buying insurance from it.
How does all that sound? If your business is a restaurant or an insurance company, isn’t it fantastic to hear the news that consumers are more likely to choose your business over a competing, non-member business because you’re a member of your local chamber of commerce? Are you convinced yet that you should join your local chamber if you aren’t a member already?
If not, read this top list of reasons why you should join your local chamber of commerce
Membership brings credibility to your business. You can increase positive perception among consumers and business owners when you’re identified as a member of a chamber of commerce.
- Increase your visibility in the community.As a new member of the chamber of commerce, you will be listed in the chamber newsletter, e-newsletter, on Facebook and have the opportunity to be highlighted in other chamber publications. You also can grow your business by advertising with the chamber and sponsoring events. The chamber may also promote your grand opening/ ribbon-cutting ceremony and assist with any public relations efforts.
- Create networking opportunities.Chambers have numerous committees and serving on one of them provides numerous networking opportunities as well as professional leadership development. You can build your business while promoting developments of keen interest to local businesses and the community at large.
- Gain a voice in government.The local chamber takes on the tough issues and opposes new regulations, taxes, fees, assessments and costs directed at small businesses. It also helps protect the principles of free enterprise and aids businesses in being treated fairly.
- Make business contacts.The chamber’s most fundamental mission is to generate more business activity for the community. The chamber initiates more business-to-business commerce and more opportunities for networking and connecting local professionals than is available through most other local organizations.
- Receive chamber newsletters.Newsletters provide new member information, interesting information about operating a local business, articles about the local community, a community calendar and details about up-and-coming chamber events, among other things.
- Acquire customer referrals.Every day, your local chamber receives calls from individuals and businesses looking for potential vendors, and chamber members typically recommend chamber members.
- Chamber events and programs.Chamber events and programs provide members with great opportunities to get to know new people and expand their prospect base. Chamber events are innovative and fun ways to help members meet potential customers, clients and vendors— and generate new business leads.
- Promotion and publicity.With a chamber membership, you can reach potential clients through member exclusive advertising and opportunities for business-to-business advertising and publicity.
- Access to members-only discounts and services.These differ from chamber to chamber. Members usually offer excellent discounts on their products and services to fellow member.
- Research indicates that chamber membership stimulates business-to-business commerce in the local community. Other businesses in town are more likely to do business with you and your company if you are a member of the local chamber. Because a major part of a small business typically comes from business-to-business services, it is essential to maintain a positive standing within the local business community.
- But it takes time for a business to establish its image and reputation in the community, says Dr. Craig Shoemaker, a marketing professor and the chair of the marketing department at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa. He says people like doing business with companies they like and trust, but that trust must be earned.
- “The more a firm is networked with its community, the quicker and easier it is to establish a trust bond with customers,” says Dr. Shoemaker.
- “The chamber is a great place to network and meet people who shared a common interest in serving their community and their customers
- Ready to join your local chamber? if you aren’t already? Keep in mind, however, that you can’t just be a member of the local chamber to reap the benefits of chamber membership. Paying your annual dues just isn’t enough. You must also make an investment of time and effort in chamber activities and become involved. Simply put, what you get out of chamber membership is directly relative to what you put in.
- “If a firm is to gain maximum value from membership, it must be an active participant in chamber-sponsored events,” Dr. Shoemaker says. “Chambers plan events so that its members benefit. Only by participation, can a firm get maximum benefit.
- How can a chamber of commerce help my business? The goal of any Chamber is to help to further the interests of small businesses in a local area. The Chamber of Commerce gives you the opportunity to meet with other local business owners and network. Of course they also present business owners in a positive light to the community.
- How do I know what chamber is the best to join?
It is always advised that you do your research, chambers with long standing credibility and that are very active and busy, helpful and professional and their reputation is good is always a better bet. A chamber who is up to date with technology, is different and stands out from the rest is your best option. Set up a meeting with a chamber and see who shares your visions and goals that you can ascertain for yourself who the people are in the chamber.
ROCCI Chamber is that chamber! Not only do they surpass all standards and are light years ahead in technology, strict rules and regulations that keep members proactive and support their members fully and encourage their members to present their best.Which chamber is recommended in Gauteng?
ROCCI has a long history of over 40 years of credibility and history. All newspaper articles and feedback from the public and business groups comes back positive. Their reputation is that they go above and beyond expectation, care, service and professionalism and make members feel like family. One Member said he joined ROCCI because of the family welcoming feel and felt part of a family immediately. Another Member stated that ROCCI pushed him to become the success he enjoys today “ they took in a down and out, last resort at wits end man and turned me around into the confident businessman I am today, it takes active involvement and hard work, but the people at ROCCI stood by me no matter what I faced. Ill forever be grateful to them, and will never leave the ROCCI Chamber” says Strydom – a successful Businessman on the West Rand.
ROCCI serves its members with passion, compassion and share a mutual hunger and drive to see their members succeed. ROCCI (Roodepoort Chamber of Commerce and Industry stands out in the Gauteng and are renowned for hosting social business events such as their off the wall Potjiekos competitions – where companies participate and compete in a fun day, while networking and having fun, They also host their annual golf day with a difference with live music crazy hole dress ups and fun games, hosts of the popular annual ROCCI ROCKS Festival in where they support all local artists from emerging to established local musicians, and simultaneously having stalls available for vendors to sell and display their products and services.
ROCCI involves the community with a variety of projects and care projects in supporting various Charities and houses such as SPCA,FOR A ,Cradle of Hope, Bethany House, and schools in need for the less fortunate as well as water drives for farmers in crisis.
Make an appointment and go and see ROCCI or they will come see you.
So now that you have all the information – nothing can stop you – get going and join the chamber and be the difference and get your voice heard. ROCCI – We ARE Your Voice of Business!